Sunday, June 15, 2008

Father's Day

What a great day this has been. Bro. Don asked me to preach on Sunday morning and do kind of a tribute to my dad. I was so honored and humbled to do that. It was really a joint effort as my two sisters and one of my nephews all shared through their writings so neat stuff about dad. There were flowers in the church in his honor and all of us kids, grandkids, and great grand kids presented him with a Super Large Print Bible for him to read. Bryce got to give that to him and he loved doing that. Then we went out to eat at Johnny Carino's with everyone and had a great time. One of my former students, Jason Garder, was our server. Back to dad - I used as our base verse, I John 3:1a which says, "Behold, what manner of love the Father has given unto us that we should be called the sons of God." It was great to be able to parallel the love of my earthly father with that of my heavenly Father. Not too many people can do that. I spoke of his faithful love to his wife, his kids, his work, and his church. I spoke of his compassionate love and how he always had a heart for other people. I spoke of his redemptive love and how he always sought to correct us in love and restore us to doing what was right in life. Then I shared of the wisdom of love, how because of his devotion to the Word of God, he was a man of wisdom far beyond his eighth grade education. What a picture of our heavenly Father - He is the Faithful One, there is no one more compassionate than Him, His work of redemption was seen when He sent His Son, Jesus Christ, to die for our sins. And it is His wisdom which guides us and directs us into His loving ways. Plus, I got to be either by telephone or in person with all my kids today. I love them so much. I pray that I will be the example to them that my dad has been to me. God is good. No matter who your father is, or what he has done - tell him you love him. I told the church that the greatest challenges I have ever faced have been that of trying to be a good husband and father. And those are also the most fulfilling things I have ever done. I love Mala more than anything, and my kids, words can't describe the love I have for them too. God has blessed me beyond all I could ever ask or think. To Him be the glory!

No comments: