Monday, April 28, 2008

The Joy and Rejoicing of My Heart

The joy and rejoicing of my heart - that's how Jeremiah described partaking of God's Word. We, too, as we daily partake of God's Word find out the joy that His Word brings to us. What comfort! What security! What peace! What wisdom and guidance! God's Word truly is our daily bread that feeds us and sustains us.

I had the privilege yesterday of doing a Walk Thru the New Testament with the dear saints of Southgate Baptist Church in Moore, OK. It was a great time in God's Word. One of my favorite mentors from my youth, Mrs. Jerri Holmes, goes to that church. There she was, sitting at the back, participating as well as any 80 year old woman could, just soaking it all in with a smile on her face. And there was Larry Romines, the husband of my late 2nd cousin, Evelyn "Doll" Romines. Larry has had problems with cancer lately, but he was right there, greeting people and making sure everyone had what they needed. When he saw me, he just hugged me and told me how proud he was of me. Larry is in his 70's. And then my wonderful pastor friend, Doug Brewer. What a blessing it has been over these past 10 years to have this man as one of my closest friends and confidants. His church has a wonderful testimony and spirit of ministering to the people of Moore, Norman, and South OKC. His people were hungry for the Word of God and it was an honor to be with them for the day.

But it all goes back to the Word of God. We have been born again because "the Word became flesh and dwelt among us." We are sustained and encouraged by the Word. What a blessing it is to find other believers who love God's Word. Even when I came home after the seminar, I had a wonderful time talking to Britt and Lauren about what God's Word says. That's a real blessing to me to talk to my son and his girl about the Lord. And also to be able to do that with all my family. God has blessed me beyond measure and I praise Him.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah! You got a blog! I am happy! :)

Beth said...

Hey Daddy! I can't wait to get to sit and visit with you about everything. I know that when we are there, it will be busy, but I want to make sure that I have some time with you. I miss you lots!!!